About the Bairnsdale Makers' Market
The Bairnsdale Makers Market (formerly Makers Market East Gippsland) has been running for almost 7 years now and is a completely not-for-profit organisation comprising of 8-10 committee members who all volunteer their time to ensure the market runs smoothly and is a successful event for stallholders, customers and the wider community.
Our committee work together with the aims of:
- Collaborating to build and develop retail opportunities for local makers
- Strengthening relations within our creative community
- Promote handmade within our region
- Stimulate our local economy
- Supporting local community groups by providing fundraising platforms and monetary donations
Our major focus is giving back to the community and we achieve this by monetary donations and providing an opportunity for community groups and charity/fundraising teams to raise money. Last year alone, we donated over $3,000 in monetary value to community groups including Red Cross, Rotary, Bairnsdale Neighbourhood House and East Bairnsdale Community Hub (Quantum Support Services). This does not include the money raised by the Red Cross and Rotary Club for refreshment sales to stallholders and customers each market day.
The Bairnsdale Makers Market dates and times have been strategically set and the reasons include but are not limited to:
- Being held on the first Saturday of each new season it is easily identifiable to the community.
- It falls on the same day/weekend as the Bairnsdale Farmers Market (first Saturday of the month). This provides a massive benefit as due to the close proximity to one another; we are able to increase the level of customers and promotion of both markets. We consciously ensure we keep our market criteria strict so that we do not eliminate any stallholder opportunities from Farmers Market.
- There are no other local markets held on this day, which in turn does not take away, or negatively impact another organisation or community group.